Admission to the doctoral program in Higher Education is a two-step process. Each applicant must first apply to and meet the general admission requirements of UNT's Toulouse Graduate School.Then, applications for students who meet initial admission standards are forwarded to the College of Education for review and final decision.
Apply to Toulouse Graduate School
University of North Texas
Toulouse Graduate School
1155 Union Circle #305459 (USPS)
1147 Union Circle, ESSC Room 354 (UPS/FedEx)
Denton, TX 76203
- Submit official transcripts from each college or university you have attended to the Toulouse Graduate School.
- GRE score is optional.
Apply to Higher Education
- March 1 for fall enrollment
- Oct. 1 for spring enrollment
- Completed the Application for Admission to the Doctoral Program in Higher Education
- Three professional recommendations — recommendation form
- Three professional recommendations are required, including at least one from a faculty member with whom you have studied or conducted research.
- A typewritten admissions essay that does not exceed 2 pages, addressing the following:
- Your reasons for pursuing a doctoral degree in higher education;
- Major area of interest in the field of higher education;
- Expectations regarding the program and career opportunities from the degree;
- Your immediate and long-range goals;
- Your work experience and previous scholarship as it relates to future career goals;
- Educational background as it relates to future career plans; and
- Personal uniqueness and how it contributes to the entering class and the program's reputation.
- A resume/curriculum vitae
- A sample of your best recent written work
- The writing sample can be a published journal article or book chapter, a research term paper, master’s thesis, or a professional report for which you are the sole or primary author.
Application materials can be returned to the Higher Education Program office in person, usps or via email to Shari.Wroe@unt.edu. Recommendations sent via email need to be submitted directly from the recommender.
UNT Higher Education Program
c/o Doctoral Admissions Coordinator
1155 Union Circle #310829
Denton, TX 76203-5017
The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application file reaches the Program Office in time to be processed by the application deadline. If a complete application file is not processed by the deadline, the applicant will not be considered for admission that semester.
Note: Students who have not been granted admission will be administratively dropped from any Higher Education courses for which they may have registered.
Invitation to Interview
Admission to doctoral study in Higher Education, both the EdD and PhD, is selective and restricted. Admission decisions are made on a holistic basis by the faculty.
After faculty review, applicants may receive an invitation to an individually scheduled interview or conference call. Upon completion of the interview, faculty will make a final decision regarding an applicant's admission to the doctoral program.