The Online Superintendent Certification Program was developed with ideas from our successful research based face-to-face program to provide a high-quality, research-based preparation for top school leaders. Online learning and access to current research based materials provide the flexibility today’s professionals need to become and remain the top leaders in their fields of interest while continuing to serve a district or community across the state or nation.
Top Posted Job Titles
Admission to the Online Superintendent Certification Program is a two-step process. Each applicant must first apply to and meet the general admission requirements of UNT's Toulouse Graduate School.Then, applications for students who meet initial admission standards are forwarded to the College of Education for review and final decision.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications to apply for the program:
- The applicant must be tapped into the program by the district superintendent (or his or her designee).
- The applicant must have a minimum of two years' teaching experience in an EC-12 public or private school.
- The applicant must have administrative experience prior to beginning the program or submit evidence of leadership experience in other fields as a substitute, based on TEA exceptions, which will be reviewed by the EDLE faculty for approval.
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree from an accredited body recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- The applicant must hold a Principal Certificate issued by TEA, another state or country. Waivers issued by TEA for Principal Certification are not accepted in this program.
To complete the certification requirements, the applicant must:
- Successfully complete the UNT Online Superintendent Certification Program
- Successfully complete the required certification exam (195)
Apply to Toulouse Graduate School
Apply through the Toulouse Graduate School at www.applytexas.org. Submit the application fee and official transcripts from all schools attended to the Graduate School. If the minimum GPA requirements are met, the packet will be forwarded to our department for review. You must meet the admission requirements of the Toulouse Graduate School, including a minimum 3.4 GPA on master's degree work. You must also submit GRE verbal and analytic writing scores.
Apply to the College of Education
Applicants will need to complete the Superintendent Certification Program Online Application and provide contact information for the candidate's superintendent or a designee to complete the program nomination form.
Course Requirements for Certificate (15 hours)
EDLE 6510 - Educational Law and Policy - Required
EDLE 6450 - School Finance and Business Management – Required
EDLE 6590 - Systems Change and Leadership - Required
EDLE 6530 - Politics and Design of Educational Facilities – Option 1
EDLE 6520 - Strategic Management for Human Capital – Option 2
Candidates must complete an Internship for superintendent certification.
Attempts to complete the Texas Superintendency Certification Exam (195) will not be allowed until the applicant has successfully completed EDLE 6033.
Estimate tuition and fees by using the Tuition Calculators. For more information about tuition plan options, fees, and tuition, see Student Financial Services.
UNT offers a variety of options to help finance your education. Visit financialaid.unt.edu to find out more about the application and award process.
UNT has been named one of America's 100 Best College Buys© for 25 consecutive years and offers the quality of a private university at an affordable cost.
Applying for financial aid
- Apply for financial aid online at fafsa.gov. The application is required for all types of financial aid, including Pell and other federal grants, state grants and loans. The FAFSA and Renewal FAFSA are available annually.
- You must enroll in 6 hours (over one or two online sessions) in order to be eligible for financial aid.
- Financial aid awards will be disbursed 10 days prior to the first day of class. Awards will not disburse if you are enrolled in only 3 credit hours.
- Contact Student Financial Aid and Scholarships at 940-565-2302 or by visiting online at financialaid.unt.edu