Clinical Practice Office

The Clinical Practice Program provides student teaching interns with opportunities to move beyond being students of organized knowledge to becoming teachers who put their acquired knowledge into practice in the classroom.

The College of Education partners with public school teachers and administrators to provide guided and gradual induction into classroom teaching working collaboratively with partner schools to provide field-based programs for both undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students seeking initial certification in elementary and secondary levels.



Clinical Practice Office Appeal Procedures (Closed for Fall 2024)


If you need to submit an appeal to the Director of Clinical Practice, you can do so by submitting this form.

You can submit an appeal for the following reasons:

  1. If you missed a Field Experience Placement Application deadline.
  2. If you need to appeal the TExES testing policy.
  3. If you would like to request a different placement.




Frequently Asked Questions

    • What does Clinical Teaching involve?
      During your clinical teaching semester you will report to your assigned public school with your assigned cooperating teacher as if you were the teacher of that classroom. Clinical teaching courses do not meet on the UNT campus. If you are an undergraduate elementary student participating in a Professional Development School, then you will be required to attend seminars scheduled by your PDS Coordinator.
    • What is the time commitment with Clinical Teaching?
      Although clinical teaching is six credit hours you should consider yourself a full-time student because you are expected to be on your assigned campus all day five days a week. While on a field campus in a school district you are required to keep the contract hours for all employed teachers on that campus. You may need to stay after school to prepare lessons you will be teaching, attend meetings or attend school sponsored functions.
    • Can I take other classes while Clinical Teaching?
      EDSP 4350 and EDEE 4890 are courses that may be on your certification plan and are required to be taken with PDS 2 (Clinical Teaching). You cannot take courses during the school day. If you want to take an additional course during clinical teaching or Professional Development School (PDS) 1, you must appeal using the appropriate appeal form found on the Student Advising Website. 
    • When does the Clinical Teacher’s day begin and end?
      As a student teacher, you should report to your campus when your cooperating teacher is required to report to their campus and you may not leave until your mentor teacher’s teaching day is complete. It is suggested that student teacher’s should mirror their mentor teacher’s arrival and departure time.
    • Whose holiday schedule do I follow? The University or the School District?
      Clinical teachers follow the holiday schedule that the school district follows. Your beginning day and ending day of clinical teaching is set forth by the University.
    • I am required to attend district staff development days?
      Yes, you are required to attend all school district staff development days.
    • What is the absence policy during Clinical Teaching?
      Clinical teachers are expected to be present every day of clinical teaching. In the case of a serious illness or emergency, the clinical teacher should notify his/her cooperating teacher and the university supervisor no later than 7 a.m. the morning of the absence. Unless approved by the Clinical Practice Office, any absence from clinical teaching will need to be made up.
    • Who do I contact about fingerprinting and the TExES exam?
      Contact the TExES Advising Office at 940-369-8601 for any questions regarding the TExES or fingerprinting.
    • Which districts can I work with if I’m a EC-6 student?
      • If you start in a Fall semester, you can work in Aubrey, Denton, Eagle Mountain-Saginaw, Frisco, Grapevine-Colleyville, Lewisville, Little Elm, Northwest, Plano or Wylie ISDs.
      • If you start in the Spring semester, you can work with Allen, Argyle (no Bilingual) Carrolton-Farmers Branch, Coppell, Keller or Sanger ISD.
    • Which Districts can I work with if I’m a Secondary or All Level student?
      Allen, Argyle, Aubrey, Birdville, Carrollton-Farmers Branch, Coppell, Dallas, Denton, Eagle Mountain-Saginaw, Ft. Worth, Frisco, Garland, Grapevine-Colleyville, Hurst-Euless-Bedford, Irving, Keller, Lake Dallas, Lewisville, Little Elm, McKinney, Northwest, Plano, Ponder, Prosper, Richardson, Sanger, and Wylie ISDs
    • What are the Student Teaching Programs and General Eligibility Requirements?

      The College of Education certifies approximately 300 teachers each year through multiple certification paths at undergraduate and post-baccalaureate levels.

      The following is an overview of our initial certification programs for intending candidates.

      Key Requirements for entry into Teacher Education Program:

      • Appropriate score on all parts of the ACT, SAT, or PRAXIS
      • 60 earned hours (Junior status)
      • Core & Field of Study GPA of 2.75 and Academic Major GPA of 2.75
      • Have degree plan or degree plan in progress
      • Complete application to Teacher Education Program Field Placement Sites

      There are specified school districts for each program that student teaching interns can choose. The sites are listed within the appropriate application forms.

Director of Clinical Practice

Teresa Luna-Taylor


Student and Program Coordinator

Destinie Noles